Prabhupad Bhavan is a preaching centre of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), or the Hare Krishna movement, situated in Brno. ISKCON was founded by Sri Srimad A.C. Bhaktivédánta Swami Prabhupada (Srila Prabhupada) in 1966 in New York, USA. The goal of this movement is to spread the noble teachings about Krishna Consciousness to every city, town and village. The Hare Krishna movement has its centres, farms and restaurants all over the world these days. These places provide a refuge for everybody who is seriously interested in making progress in Krishna Consciousness. These individuals are fully taken care of so that they can expand their Krishna Consciousness in peace and come back home, back to Godhead, in this lifetime.
- Srila Prabhupada set the following goals for his movement:
- systematically spread spiritual knowledge throughout the society
- educate and train all people according to the rules of spiritual life
- spread Krishna Consciousness according to Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam
- work on mutual relationships between the people of the organisation, so that they can be close to each other, lead them to Krishna, the Supreme Personality and thus develop in them and the whole society the idea that every soul is a qualitative portion of God (Krishna)
- teach about singing the holy names of God together (sankirtan)
- build pilgrimage sites meant to glorify Lord Krishna
- found farms based on the principle of simple living and deep thinking
- print and distribute literature with respect to the aforementioned points
Prabhupad Bhavan was founded in summer 2010 from the original Brno centre called Nama-hatta when 4 devotees came here from the Prague temple Sri Sri Nitai Navadvipacandra. It is located in a rent villa close to the child hospital. Every Sunday we host a program for the general public. We do morning temple programs every day starting already at 4:30. These compose of singing, japa meditation and a lecture. After breakfast the temple residents go out to the streets to fulfill their mission - spread spiritual literature, prasadam (food offered to Krishna) and the holy name. We also travel all over the country with the holy name and the books and pay visits to those interested in spiritual life directly in their homes. We host various vaishnava festivals during the course of the year too.
The farm Nava Gokula is tightly connected to the preaching centre located in the settlement Skavsko, about 50 km from Brno. While Prabhupad Bhavan focuses on preaching in cities and villages, the Nava Gokula farm aims to demonstrate to people the ideal of simple living and high thinking as an alternative to the modern materialistic and misguided society. Here we develop a sustainable way of life, we grow our own food and work on becoming independent on the consumer society.
In Prabhupad Bhavan we focus on these activities:
- distribution of Srila Prabhupada’s books
- public singing of the holy names of Krishna
- distribution of prasadam (food offered to Krishna)
- Sunday public programmes
- public lectures
- lectures for schools
- programmes in homes (if you’re interested, we can come directly to your home)
- systematic education in practising devotional service and philosophy
- bhakti yoga courses (a shorter version of bhakta programmes for men and women)
- bhakta programmes (an intensive training in the basics of bhakti yoga - men only)
- training of brahmacharis (ashram training of monks - men only)
The everyday programme in Prabhupad Bhavan
05:00 Personal japa meditation
07:30 Srila Prabhupada Guru Puja
07:50 A lecture based on Srimad Bhagavatam
18:00 Gaura arati and reading about Srila Prabhupada (from 19:00 on Saturdays)
Programme is opened for public.
Every sunday from 14:00 we have public programmes.
Detailed information about planned events organizaed by Prabhupad Bhavan you can find here.